Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Drawal of Meds in Wellness Centre


[09/10, 1:54 p.m.] Dong Lianthang Tonsing: My doctor prescribes me eptoin, wants me to keep on taking it till he finds me fit enough. In place of 300 mg tablets taken @ one tablet per day, I use to get 100 mg ones in bottles containing 120 tablets from CGHS dispensaries. And I take the medicine @ 3 tablets per day. One bottle of 100 mg tablet contains dose to last for 40 days (120 divided by 3) which is 10 days more than one month's requirement and 20 days less than 2 months's. So doctors use to round off the figure to doses for 80 days i.e. 2 months 20 days. The doctor assigned to me in Wellness Centre, Dwarka in the morning of 7.9.2017, sanctioned 200 tablets of 100 mg eptoin, which is neither rational nor issuable. The pharmacist didn't need a second look, just told me about the discrepancy. I rushed back to the doctor.
As the doctor was struggling with the antiquated computer for an he got summons from his colleagues over and over again. At last he dismissed the senior citizen in a typical Hindi, people like me don't understand. The senior citizen went out almost as soon as the doctor. As promised, the doctor returned to his seat about 5 (or is it 10 ?) minutes later. I presented my case and he made necessary corrections in the computer. I went back to the pharmacist and got two bottles of 100 mg eptoin and ecosprin tablets to last for 60 days. Others like  4 mg folvite and 500 mg gemcal remained indented. In other words, the last two items were out of stock and may be obtained later on, if available and if I visit the counter.
There is a problem of lines and queues in dispensaries. Since the receptionists enter beneficiary numbers of patients for issuing slips, the information must have hit the doctor's terminal/computer/ip automatically. So there is no need of confusions and squabbles between patients in front of the doctor's door. After all computer should well remember who gets what priority.
On behalf of the patients, the management could have exploited the ( integrated) computer system to solve the problems of squabbles in front of the doctor's chambers and in the pharmacist's counter.
A time may come when medicines of terminally ill patients are couriered to their residences.